US Watching Rs. 500, 1000 Withdrawal, Ready to Help US Citizens in India

Mark Toner, Deputy Spokesperson, US State Department

Must read

Washington, DC – The United States on Wednesday (Nov. 09) acknowledged the problems faced by the common man in India including US citizens traveling or working there and promised all help through the US Embassy in New Delhi.

Answering a question raised by IAT on the subject, Mark Toner, Deputy Spokesperson at the daily state department press Briefing said, “I’m aware that it’s had an impact. I assume that we have informed at least Americans who are visiting or living in India of how to work around this and to deal with it.”

Later, the State Department pointed to a notification from the US Embassy in India but it must be noted that on the embassy website homepage today (Nov 8), IAT didn’t find anything on the subject.

The notifications shared by the State Department said, “On 8 November 2016 the Indian Prime Minister announced that existing 500 and 1,000 Rupee banknotes will be withdrawn from immediate circulation. Between 9 and 11 November 2016 the notes will still be accepted at airports, railway stations and hospitals. Banks will exchange these notes between 10 November and 30 December 2016. If you’re exchanging money at a bank, take a form of photographic identification and expect long queues. New 500 and 2,000 rupee notes will be issued to replace the withdrawn notes.”

The notification also cited a release from the Indian Ministry of Finance. IAT has shared some of the relevant answers below:

Q: I am right now not in India, what should I do?

Ans: If you have Specified banknotes in India, you may authorise in writing enabling another person in India to deposit the notes into your bank account. The person so authorised has to come to the bank branch with the Specified banknotes, the authority letter given by you and a valid identity proof (Valid Identity proof is any of the following: Aadhaar Card, Driving License, Voter ID Card, Pass Port, NREGA Card, PAN Card, Identity Card Issued by Government Department, Public Sector Unit to its Staff)

Q: I am an NRI and hold NRO account, can the exchange value be deposited in my account?

Ans: Yes, you can deposit the Specified banknotes to your NRO account.

Q: I am a foreign tourist, I have these notes. What should I do?

Ans: You can purchase foreign exchange equivalent to Rs5000 using these Specified Bank Notes at airport exchange counters within 72 hours after the notification, provided you present proof of purchasing the Specified Bank Notes.

Moreover, the State Department reiterated its request to US citizens living overseas or planning to travel abroad to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier for us to locate you in an emergency.

The US Embassy in New Delhi is located at Shanti Path, Chanakyapuri 110021; telephone +91-11-2419-8000; fax +91-11-2419-8407. The Embassy’s website is

The US Consulate General in Mumbai (Bombay) is located at C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East, Mumbai 400051, telephone +91-22-2672-4000; fax +91-22-2363-0350. The website is

The US Consulate General in Chennai (Madras) is at 220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle, 600006, telephone +91-44-2857-4000; fax +91-44-2811-2027. The website is

The US Consulate General in Kolkata (Calcutta) is at 5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani, 700071; telephone +91-33-3984-2400; fax +91-33-2282-2335. The website is

The US Consulate General in Hyderabad is at Paigah Palace, 1-8-323, Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet, Secunderabad 500 003; telephone: +91 (40) 4033-8300. The website is

More articles

Latest article