US Secret Service Shoots Armed Suspect Outside White House

Must read

Washington, DC – The United States Secret Service shot an armed man at a security checkpoint outside the White House this afternoon (Friday, May 20) and the complex was put under lockdown. The man was critically wounded and taken to a hospital.

David A. Iacovetti, Deputy Assistant Director, Office of Government and Public Affairs, United States Secret Service said in a statement, “Today, at approximately 3:06 pm, an adult male subject, carrying a firearm, approached an outer perimeter checkpoint accessible to the general public on E Street.”

“Secret Service Uniformed Division Officers gave numerous verbal commands for the subject to stop and drop the firearm. When the subject failed to comply with the verbal commands, he was shot once by a Secret Service agent and taken into custody,” the statement added.

“The Secret Service recovered a firearm at the scene. Secret Service Uniformed Division Officers and an agent provided medical aid to the subject. The subject has been transported to a local area hospital for medical treatment,” the statement concluded.

Moreover, the White House said, “At no time did the subject access the White House complex,” noting that no law enforcement personnel or innocent bystanders were injured during this incident.

President Barack Obama had left the White House around 1 pm for a golf outing at Andrews Air Force Base in Camp Springs, Maryland when the shooting occurred and was briefed about the situation.

Obama leaves for Vietnam on Saturday. Vice President Joe Biden was in the White House complex but was immediately taken to a secured place.

The White House correspondents in the Brady Press Briefing Room were asked to shelter in place in the White House basement. Secret Service sharpshooters could be seen on the roof of the White House training their weapons in the direction of the shooting.

There were still signs of heightened security around the White House this evening as Obama arrived back at 6:27 p.m. There was no further information on the condition of the suspect.

More articles

Latest article